Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless and Wired connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

schronuts

Programmer
Mar 12, 2010
US
Is there any way to have my laptop point to the wireless card for internet and point to the lan nic card for everything else?

I basically want to off load the internet traffic onto a wireless hotspot and still be able to access my networked drives. Thanks!!

You can change the interface metrics and force the computer to prefer the wireless link over the wired connection (preference is wired over wireless if I am not mistaken). Then you can add a persistent route for local networks to use the wired interface.

On a windows system, metrics are normally given automatically but you can change them in the Advanced TCP/IP settings for the adapter. The higher the metric number the lower the preference. Then you can use the route command (type route -? for syntax) to add a persistent route for the local connection.

Example
LAN interface ip 192.168.1.100 id 1 force metric to 20 (default would be ~ 10)
WLAN interface ip 192.168.1.101 id 2 force metric to 10 (default would be ~ 25)

route -p add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.100 metric 1 if 1

this will tell it to route local traffic via your wired LAN (assuming network of 192.168.1.0/24), all other traffic will prefer your wired connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back