Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless and AOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbaseboy

Programmer
Apr 24, 2002
GB
Hi,

Im trying to set up a wireless network for a friend who uses AOL UK Broadband. She has a D-Link DSL-902 router. I've followed the instructions fully and set everything up- exactly as it says (username, password all the settings on the router are (as far as I can tell) spot on.

Although the Router shows a status of connected and numerous packets travelling to and from I cant get any internet connection through the Ethernet connection. Ive also set a 2nd laptop with a wireless connection which again sees the network with a strong signal however it to, only gets an error page when attempting to view a webpage.

Im sure its something daft but I cant see it at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey,

Is the D-Link DSL-902 router, the broardband and wireless router or is it attached to the brordband router?

It looks like it is internet connection trouble not wireless.

Cya,

Brett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSW, Australia
(Unless you want to pay for our trip?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I assume you're initially connecting to this router with a wired connection. Forget the added complication of wireless until you've got wired working ok.

Try a different screen name - AOL usually allow you several I believe.

Have you set the router to automatically find DNS servers?

Presume you're sync'd up ok to local DSL signal and l.e.d. is solid. What are the DS SNR and ATTN figures?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

AOL broadband sharing setup problems are usually username/password issues. Ensure the following statements are all true:-

The full Screen Name in lower case.
You have @aol.com after the Screen Name.
The Screen Name does not contain any spaces.
The Screen Name has General (18+) access in AOL Parental Controls (Mature Teen, Young Teen and Kids Only Screen Names will not work for a router connection).
The password is between six and eight characters long.
The password consists of letters and numbers only (i.e., no spaces, or special characters such as: ! £ ? % and spaces).
The password is all lower case.

Basic router settings should be those found at

bpinning - yes its the broadband and wireless router,

GOAOZ - I'll try the different screen name ta but yes I set it to Automatically find DNS. Im connected using the Ethernet cable, I get the Control Panle up without a problem so I know the connection from router to laptop is fine.

Satrow - Yep, all those settings have been checked and double checked.

Im going over there this afternoon so I'll try the different screen name idea although I know the one shes using is over 18, and has the right password setup etc.

Has this account been used on another connection, such as a USB modem?

If so, there will probably be an issue with MAC addresses. I know AOL register MAC addresses against a user name, in order to stop more than one user on a particular account.

Most routers will allow you to use a "Fake" MAC address, and in this case, you should change the routers MAC address to match that of the hardware you have previously used.

As an aside, this would also occur if you changed the modem.

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back