Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannothandle

Technical User
May 14, 2003
PH
Please help!!! I'm a tech support and I handle wireless products. How do I solve this?? Status is already connected, excellent signal strength. But when I check my IP address I get an invalid one. Something like 169.255.x.x. One more thing, how do you solve intermittent wireless connections??? thanks.

For the first problem you obviously are not getting DHCP services from the router. Assuming your TCP/IP properties are set to obtain an IP address automaticly, it is likely you either do not have Client for Microsoft Networking installed, or you are not logging in. Even with a blank or empty password you cannot hit Escape or Cancel at the logon screen, you must hit Enter or Okay.

The other possibility is that your WEP key is incorrect.

For the second problem there are multiple possible causes. In order of likeliehood:

1. You have 802.1x authentication enabled on the client. Disable it.
2. You need a driver update
3. You have not selected a Preferred Network. See Microsoft's KB article on this:

I found that my Linksys WPC54G wireless card doesn't obtain an IP address until AFTER Windows has logged-on. (What had they been smoking when they came up with that idea?)

I've found that if I log-on, suffer the "No domain server" message then log off then back on again I get a valid IP address. Of course you could use WINIPCFG instead...

Regards,

Andy

"Logic is invincible because in order to combat logic it is necessary to use logic." -- Pierre Boutroux

cannothandle,

why dont you set a static IP on the computer?

this 169.254.xx.xx...this means that your computer is getting an invalid IP...

assign static IP...well thats if your using a router....

[ponytails]

"imagination is more important than knowledge."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back