Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Adapter USB/PCI/PCMCIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

axalex

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2004
HK
Ok, I have a wireless Buffalo WZR-RS-G54 vpn router setup in the office and I don't want too many wires lying around in the office so I decided to get some wireless adapters for some of the PC and Notebook.

so my question is, how much of a difference if I use a USB/PCI/PCMCIA wireless adapter. Most of the computer are pretty old and they are running on USB 1.0, does that make a difference. The problem of using PCI ones is that I cain't re-use them on a notebook. so what about PCMCIA + PCI/PCMCIA Adapter. Thanks in advance for your advice

I'm not an expert but I believe USB 1 has limited bandwidth, so you can only use "b" as the port isn't fast enough for "g".

I just came across this with one of my clients. She had a ibook g3 with USB 1 and the only USB that worked was a D-Link DWL-122 which is 802.11b.

In conclusion: You should stay away from the USB solution and go with the PCI adapter. At least you'll get enough bandwidth for "g".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back