Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Access Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneGuyy

Technical User
Feb 8, 2008
US
Question of the Day....

When installing access points for wireless phones in new building... Would you install above the grid to keep out of site or below the grid...

Depends on the tile and how much the signal gets blocked by the drop ceiling grid. Best to have someone do a wireless survey.

When I worked at a hospital, we had lots of coverage problems, I think it was because they tried to hide so much above the grid and ran into coverage issues. This was 7 yrs ago, mind you... also, you can run into environmental problems - the AP's will overheat, or get clogged with dust, or peed on by rats, etc... not fun.

-Matthew

Matthew - Technical Support Engineer

If you are installing "above the grid", you need to make sure that they are plenum rated. Some access points have external antennas which allow you to place the access point "above the grid" for neatness while still having the antenna "below the grid" for optimum signal strength and coverage.

perfer below because i may be trying to locate dead units a year down the road. with any building, people are so used to having trash ceiling mounted, no one seems to notice. how many objects are mounted in site at your bank.. notice next time, 20 would not be uncommon for a branch bank.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back