Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless access point problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

akrobert

Technical User
May 1, 2010
US
Hello

Im helping a friend that is having problems with a wireless access point. They have a linksys wireless G router and one of the leads for the antenna connects to a directional antenna outside which beams over to another house which has a directional antenna connected to a linksys wireless G access point. The access point became non responsive and whenever you plugged a cat 5 cable into it it just says cable unplugged and the wireless from the access point is not transmitting. I pick up the wireless from the other house at 1 bar. We assumed the access point was bad so replaced it with a linksys wireless g with ses and that does the same thing. I also tried plugging a computer straight in and running the software and it says it cant detect the access point. how can I program the access point so I can bring it online?
thanks

Robert

If the config is corrupted, try resetting the unit to default and then program again. If that does not work, read the documentation that came with the unit and follow the troubleshooting guide. If you don't have it, go to Linksys' website and download it.

....JIM....

You need to A) reset the device to default and B) you need it to be connected directly via CAT5 cable to a laptop or desktop to reprogram. You can't do it remotely (via wireless).

Hello
I did reset it to the default settings. I plugged in a cat 5 to program it and on a windows 7 computer it said network cable unplugged, on a mac it says that its in an unknown state..I tried going to the browser and putting in 192.163.1.254 which is the address its supposed to be at and it doesnt respond. I think the nic port in the access point is bad but I cant imagine 2 of them that are both bad in the same way..I tried running the linksys disc that came with it using a cat 5 cable plugged straight from the computer to the access point and the software says that no access point was detected. Ive tried multiple cables and got the same response every time.

thanks

Robert

You or your friend may want to contact Linksys support for a replacement or repair of the defective unit, or they may have some other things to check, but if the Ethernet port is truly bad, then that would make it obvious it needs repair service.

....JIM....

If you did a reset to factory defaults, you need to find use the IP address that is default for the access point.

Also, you MUST set your computer up with a static IP address that is on the same subnet as the ip address of the router when reset. If you don't set a static IP, you'll never get connected to the access point because the access point doesn't do DHCP.

Are you following??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back