Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wireless 98 problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zobbo

Technical User
Dec 21, 2004
IE
the wireless router is working fine...the xp laptop can pick it up..

however, not the 98.....here are the facts

- wireless pci card does show up in device manager

- when I use the "ipconfig" command all i get is

Ip address 169.254.237 etc
subnet mask 255.255.0.0

any ideas ?

(when I use a wired ethernet connection on it - it works fins but not the wireless)

Does the wireless card have its own software (many insist on installing driver/software before installing the card)?

I'd just remove the wireless device from device manager and network properties, disconnect the device and start again, making sure you follow the cards instructions. For 98, you realy need the cards own software to monitor its status properly.

wolluf,

using network cards own software utility I was able to connect to wireless router.

thank you for that advice. cheers.

I would start in safe mode and look at the device manager. Some times in Win98 removing devices in regular mode but will leave them in safe mode. Duplicate devices may be listed there also. Even though they are not shown in regular mode they are still shown in safe mode. Remove them if Windows finds them in safe mode. Windows will reinstall devices if they are still in the machine and prompt you to insert the installation disk if you have one. Make sure that in the winipcfg, run in the run line, you have the proper device listed for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back