Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless 802.11g router & Cordless 2.4GHz Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

zollo9999

Programmer
May 12, 2002
AU
Hi

I'm planning the following as part of a home office network.

The following ADSL modem is also a cable and wireless router and has 2 cord inputs for VoIP phones.

ZYXEL P-2602HWL ADSL 2+ MODEM/ VoIP/ 802.11G WIRELESS ROUTER + LIFELINE

For the VoIP function, I want to use
Doro 550S which is a 2.4GHz cordless phone. This phone does not have the newly developing VoIP function and I don't know how it works anyway so that not the option I'm considering here. ie I will plug cordless phone cable into the ADSL/VoIP modem/Router.

Question:
Will the 2.4GHz phone, interfere with the 802.11g 2.4GHz wireless network?

I've heard .11g has many channels so interference could be avoided, but I'd like to know if anyone has any idea if this setup would work or not.

thanks
pb

Zollo A+ / VBA Developer
[thumbsup]

I would not be using a 2.4 GHz cordless phone anywhere near an 802.11x wireless network. The network is on a fixed channel which you can set, but most of those phones will automatically shift their frequency and you cannot control the,. Use a 900 Mhz or 5.4 GHz phone instead.

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

Thanks Flapeyre

I suspected it would be a problem and then I found in some recent posts other members that have had problems with 2.4GHz phones and Microwaves interfering with .11g wireless nets.

These issues are not uncommon from what I have read elsewhere about 0.11x nets.

I'd don't know if you know Telstra the premier National telecoms providor in Australia (still 51% govt owned) but today I had a guy in their shop say he had no such problem with this kind of setup.

But I don't think I want to risk the potential hassle for the reasons you mentioned. My expectation and previous experience is that a user can't select and control the channel/frequency of cordless phones.

So I'm now looking at 5.8GHz phones only. I haven't heard of 5.4GHz phones over here, perhaps they are avail in North America, due to different Bandwidth regulations.

Zollo A+ / VBA Developer
[thumbsup]

It's 5.8 GHz over here too; I was having a memory lapse. Apparently the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) actually allocated the same frequencies worldwide. Amazing. However, nobody thought to consider the potential interference factor.

In the US, the FCC considers unlicensed low-power devices, such as cordless phones and 802.11x stuff, out of luck when it comes to interference from licensed stations and other low-power devices. However, I think that as the popularity of 802.11g residential wireless networks grow, the market will shift toward 5.8 GHz (despite the higher cost.

Personally, my home phones are hardwired, the old-fashioned way; I do have an 802.11g wireless network (when I move back home after the Katrina damage is repaired, anyway). My house is on a large lot so there is no interference from any neighbors that may be using 2.4 GHz cordless phones.

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back