Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless 2.4GHz router

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupas

Technical User
Aug 19, 2006
US
My boss bought a wireless 2.4GHz router w/ 4-port switch. Id like to set it up inside our internal network. How can I go about doing this? Should I put a CAT5 cable into the internet port or one of the 4 other ports?

Also how can I seperate clients and employees with the wireless option... I want employees to be able to connect to our companies network but I want clients only to be able to get internet access wirelessly.

Any help would be great!

How is your current wire LAN setup? Do you currently have a router running or is the ISP connected directly to your server?

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

I have a router, firewall, etc. along with 7 switches...

Im wondering if I need to buy two wireless routers to do this or can I do it with one? Im hoping one... I already purchased a linksys WRT54G

It is possible with some units to split the wireless. We currently use HP 420 Wireless Access Points with 2 networks. A public network and a private network. The public network is not secured in our case, our private is including using WPA2 and 802.1x authentication (authenticating to MS AD) and we don't broadcast the SSID. The Access Points then split the traffic and send the public to a VLAN that goes to a port on our firewall that offers DHCP and DNS and access to the internet. The other VLAN is our private network. You would need switches that can do VLAN's and probably an open Firewall Port to do this.

I don't think a residential style router/ap will give you this capabilities.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back