Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wired via VPN, Wireless via non-vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

itexperienceduser

Technical User
Jun 28, 2010
US
most laptops have both wired and wireless connection. I can set up my wired network to connect to my company via VPN. after that I can open the wireless connection. How can I direct some applications to use the wired(VPN) connection and others (like web brower, outlook express) to use wireless (non-vpn) connect ?

the vpn solution needs to support split-tunneling

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

itexperienceduser:

Enabled SplitTunnel with the VPN will allow the users connect to the company's network and at the same time be able to serve the web or other networks other than the company's network.

Disabled SplitTunnel will allow the users to VPN back to the company's network only. In essence, the laptop cannot go anywhere else.

Your question is: How to use the wired network for VPN and wireless network for serving the web? See below.
How can I direct some applications to use the wired(VPN) connection and others (like web brower, outlook express) to use wireless (non-vpn) connect ?

The laptop has "weight" assigned to the wireless and wired port. Some laptop can shutdown the wireless network when the wired network is connected(BIOS level settings). If the wired network is connected then all traffic will flow thru the wired network. The wireless network is still alive but not being used. In order to accomplish what you want to do. I think you need to add static route at the laptop to route all non company traffic to wireless port.

I haven't done this before but I think this is your direction.

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back