Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wired PC's internet ok; wireless PC's are a lot slower 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scifidad89

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
US
Hi,

I bought a D-Link, DI-624 (rev B) wireless-G router a few months ago. My internet is provided via cable modem; internet speed from ISP is 4 Mbs. I have 2 PC's hard-wired to the Router and 3 other PC's, wireless. My hard-wired PC's transfer (download) data/web pages at the ISP rate (4 Mbs). The problem is with my 3 wireless PC's internet transfer rate - it's about half the rate for all 3 PC's (about 2Mbs). This has been consistently the same since I've had the router. The wireless NIC's that I use are the DWL-G122, DWL-G650, and the DWL-G520 (all three are wireless-G cards). So it doesn't seem to matter that I'm using different wireless NIC's; the end result is still the same - half the internet download rate as compared to the 2 wired PC's. I've installed the latest drivers for each card and I'm using the latest firmware for the DI-624. All PC's are running Windows XP home edition.

My router configuration is:

- WEP enabled at 64 bits
- using channel 6

I have pretty much used default settings with the router ever since I set it up.

Also, I have tried using Windows to configure my wireless connections, and switching to using the D-Link Utility for driving the wireless cards. There was no difference in the internet speed using each mode. In each wireless PC's case, the connection speed between the router and PC, is reported as being 54 Mbs with a strong signal. It rarely drops to 48 Mbs.

What could be causing my wireless PC's to be downloading from the internet at a significantly less rate than the wired PC's? Doesn’t make any sense.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Thanks for any words of wisdom.

They should be, as your wired is 100Mbs, twice the speed of the wireless

cdlvj, that's not the reason. 4Mbps internet should be handled at same speed regardles of having 54 or 100 mbit.

the main reason probably is packetloss over the wifi connection.

What most people also don;t realise is that the speed of a wifi network is determined by the weakest link, in other words...the connection farthest away and with the lowest connection speed determines the overall speed of the network, and that speed is divided of the number of connections at that moment.

so lets say there's 3 wifi network connections made to an AP, and the weakest connection only gets like 40$ signal, slowing the bandwidth to 6 Mbps...that 6 mbps , divided by 3 means each wifi connection gets 2 mbps...even an adapter with 100% and 54mbps still only gets 2mbps allocated to it.

an AP has to share its bandwidth with all connected adapters.

sorry, didn't read the last part of your post... if the bandwidth for ALL adapters doesn't drop below 48 mbps, check fragmentation threshold...set it at the highest (or default) setting, something around 2367 (?) so that larger packets are sent instead of small ones.

I would go over to broadbandreports.com and and run thru their tweak tests and adjust the settings fro your wireless pc's , there should be very little difference in download speeds between wireless and wired , mine is almost exactly equal on my netgear setup with wired versus wireless . This site is very good for helping to setup your network for maximum thruput of your cable or dsl internet connection with a number of free tools to help .

the connection farthest away and with the lowest connection speed determines the overall speed of the network, and that speed is divided of the number of connections at that moment."
So, if you turn two of the three wireless PCs OFF, the one remaining would get all the bandwidth and should run as fast as the wired PC?
Not a solution, but a test...

Or was the problem fixed somehow?

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back