Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wired network and adding a wifi only device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyde

Technical User
Apr 12, 2000
US
Hello,
I have a wired ethernet home network running fine in my apartment, but I want to add a LG BD 390 Network Blu-ray Disc Player which is a wifi only device and have it be able to connect to the network. I'm wondering what equipment I'll need to do this, without having to purchase and install wireless cards in all my PC's and laptops.

Thank you for any relevant advice.

Presumably your present wired network connects to a router or a switch. Are there any spare ports? To connect up your Blue-ray device you will need an AP (Access Point) which will link into your existing network by means of an Ethernet cable, into either the router or the switch.

Whilst an AP will generally give adequate coverage throughout a small to medium sized house, be aware that thick walls, metal structures, electrically noisy environments and other close-by wireless networks will all decrease its effective range.

Make sure you purchase an AP which is compatible (802.11?) with your Blue-ray device.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back