Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wired connection on HP311 netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I have a strange problem on my netbook on a power-saving switch.

1) if the netbook is connected to the switch, the netbook does not see the network at all
2) if any other notebook is connected to the switch using the same cable and port, it works fine
3) if the netbook is connected to a fully powered switch, it works.

I could use a USB-ethernet dongle. Seems like quite a waste since there is a perfectly good wired connection: just that it doesn't like the switch.

I'm just wondering if a shorter cable will make it work. The current cable is 6m. I haven't tried it yet as the switch is quite difficult to get to and I don't have a 3m cable. I don't know a lot about these electricals and signalling stuff.

if the netbook is connected to the switch, the netbook does not see the network at all

By this, do you mean that it doesn't work for even short periods of time before it goes to sleep?? Like if you restarted the laptop and the switch, it doesn't connect to this switch?

A network card driver update would be the first thing I would do.

I would look at the power saving properties of the network card in Device Manager and turn them off. There should be a power management tab. There might also be some power saving settings on the advanced tab as well.

Give us the model of the switch. If it is a managed switch (doubtful), the power saving setting could possibly be turned off.

I think the first question would be whether ths switch is connected to something that is actually working as DHCP and handing out the network configuration or if it has to be manually set. In which case I would ask if the network settings are correct on the netbook. Or the inverse of that, that the netbook is using incorrect manual settings for the network.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

following up on vacunita's post - it might just be the network speed settings - if the switch you're connecting to is set to Auto, you may also need to be set to Auto. If you're already on Auto, try other settings - 100/Full, etc. Check to see what the network settings are on one of the notebooks that does work when connected using this cable, and use those on your netbook.

Another possibility - are you on an Enterprise network at work ? If so, your netbook may not be able to login to Active Directory without special provisions - check with your IT Help Desk. Some organizations have special Wifi access for netbooks and laptops brought from home.

Fred Wagner

Yeah, I would vote for those two suggestions (FredWagner and vacunita) before my suggestion. I was assuming that things upstream of the switch are copacetic (may or may not be) AND that the PC IP settings are correct.

And once in a while you will see a network card and a switch which don't auto-negotiate very happily.

if any other notebook is connected to the switch using the same cable and port, it works fine
This would tend to indict the laptop network card / settings vs. anything upstream though.

The switch is basically one of these I can't do anything with the switch - it is autosensing.

The switch is connected to a router which does the DHCP bit. The netbook is configured for DHCP and will connect to other switches: just not this one. The settings are the same as all the other netbooks/notebooks which I use. I can connect the netbook directly to the router and that works. Unfortunately the router is in the basement and the problem I'm having is in the attic. There is a cable running from the basement to the attic. Don't think that is at fault: everything else (i.e. other desktops and notebooks) seem fine.

Not sure how to force the card on the netbook to 100/Full. It will only do 100. It doesn't go into hibernation/sleep. I always power it down and up again. I've never gotten anything to work correctly after sleep/hibernation, even with Don't switch off the network card set. I've just checked this: it is still on but it shouldn't affect connection after powerup.

Another strange thing: when connecting to some networks, it only connects at 10Mb: not 100Mb even though the network can handle 10/100/1000. Could this indicate that the network card is on its way out?

is the network you are on a GigBit network (1mbit), if so you can happily set your NIC to use 1000kbps at FULL duplex...
Used mostly to connect high-end workstations and servers as well as for network backbones, Gigabit Ethernet transmits full duplex from point to point using switches and half duplex in a shared environment (CSMA/CD) using a hub.
Source: PCMag

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

It supports 10/100/1000 so it's theoretically compatible with the laptop.

Driver update check - given the symptoms you mentioned.

Did a driver update: it is the most recent version.

A mate of mine tried attaching his 6 year old Compaq: same problem. No problem when he attached his Samsung netbook. He said he had a similar problem with his netgear router.

I swapped out the new switch for an older linksys 10/100 switch and everything magically worked.

At a guess, it is pointing to some tolerance factor on the compaqs and newer routers. Wonder if HPs have the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back