Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wire it "up"

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl03

MIS
Jun 13, 2005
US
I post on a few different DIY forums, and I have noticed that people constantly say "wire it up" when referring to connecting electrical wires to devices. It drives me nuts. Unless you are talking about running a wire vertically, you are simply "wiring" it.

Any other examples or pet peeves similar to this? So much grammar could be corrected by simply omitting superfluous words that don't need to be there. (yeah, that one was on purpose [bigglasses])

Thanks,
Andrew

[smarty] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

Hi,
Well, after wiring it up, you can then power it up [wink]

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

The way I understand it, "Wire it up" means do it and finish it. The same way you say to your (teenage) kid "Clean up your room" when you should just say "Clean your room" - ot os the same request/order, right?

What drives me up the wall is when people say: "Where are you at?". Just the question "Where are you?" already asks for the location. Why add "at" at the end?

Have fun.

---- Andy

Hi,
My teacher's reply to 'where are you at'
was
'between the a and the t '

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I don't have a problem with "wiring it up" at all, it just implies that you are wiring it up to something, in this case the electrical supply (presumably).

Just like joining things up.

Annihilannic.

We have an expression 'Wired to the moon' which wouldn't sound right if it was 'Wired up to the moon'.

That said, I do think wiring something up to something else does work for me at least.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

Here in Glasgow there is an expression "Get wired in" which can be translated approximately as "Begin".

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

Unless you are talking about running a wire vertically, you are simply "wiring" it.

I suspect you may have hit upon the origination of the phrase. When I hear that phrase, I always picture in my mind someone connecting wires to a light socket hanging from a ceiling. Some of the older homes and businesses I visited in my youth literally had light bulbs hanging from the ceiling by the wires. Prior to electricity, these places used candles or gas lights. When they got electrical lights, the owners and some electricians would simply run wires along the ceiling and wire "up" a light socket that would droop from the ceiling.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Wiring up implies to me that something is being connected to a power source. In I.T., I often hear developers say, "I need to wire up the application" meaning to connect it to a data source.

[morning]

Any other examples or pet peeves similar to this?

Ending a conversation with, "Ok, I should let you go now" when you acually mean "Ok, I need to get on with other things"

Saying - "needless to say..." If it is needless than why say it?. Personally, I always use "Suffice it to say"

Irregardless - aaarrgggg - Regardless!!!

"I could care less", really? I would have thought you couldn't care less. Thanks for supporting me.

I have more but those are my favourites.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Most people here know how "wired up" I get when people end sentences with prepositions, so...
Why did you bring that book that I hate to be read to from out of up through for?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

When I "wired down" the last time (big project at work), it took me nearly 3 hrs. to get "wired up" again by watching a soccer (football for the British among us) game.

And Santa, before you get "wired up" the next time, place your legs in a pretzel formation, place both wrists, palm facing up, touching the index finger and thumbs together, and utter the famous words "Ohm...". It may help you to get "wired down" a bit... ;-)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Sooo . . . one might say you're down to the wire about getting wired up? [blush]

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I'm not sure Santa is wiry enough to assume that position.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

A pet peeve of mine is "to make a long story short." The story has already been too long by the time someone's used the phrase.
[rockband]

BadBigBen said:
by watching a soccer (football for the British among us) game.

It should say:

"by watching a football (soccer for the US people among us) game."

Football is the term used by the entire world for this game, only one country (AFAIK) uses the name of 'soccer' and it is just USA.

Have fun.

---- Andy

CANADA Eh!
uses the same word :)

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

Soccer" is used here in Australia too, because football, or "the footy" can be used to refer various forms of rugby and/or Australian Rules Football, depending on which state you're in and which sport you owe the most allegiance to...

No inflatable balls for me, I'll stick to watching cricket.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back