Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinZip password protection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyTech

Programmer
Nov 14, 2000
KR
Hey there,
I have a client who just got WinZip (Version 8) and for some reason zipped a few important files to a .zip file, and password protected them. He didnt even know he set a password and has no clue what it is...
Is there a way to crack the password?
thanks for your help, Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

Hi Jay

I wish I had better news for you, but the answer is no!
Don't even bother contacting the WinZip folks either.

Try to find someone with advanced crytographic software.

Sorry,
Ed

Sometimes your the windshield... sometimes your the bug.

There is a program for this, I was discussing exactly this with a friend only today........trouble is, it may not be legal (?) and I've yet to get my hands on it!! The point is, it's out there somewhere and if I can find out more I'll post it here. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge. Andy.

try goggle search engine for some, now these may come up with "illegal" hacking programs
or for legitimate third party software designed for sysadmins us zdnet and search in their downloads.

yea I alreadt tried downloading some stuff, and I found one or two that are actually legal, but the trouble is that they are only shareware/demos and they will only recover passwors with 3 or less letters in them!! And not to my suprise when I ran it, it didnt find the mystery password!! I dont really want to fork out 40 or 50 quid for this once only use and its not even for me!! Jay~

put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

I've seen zip password crackers on all the warez sites, so it's likely that you may find one there. It bugs me now that I don't have it on file already. I'll have to find and download it myself. =)
Steve Kiehl
webmaster@nanovox.com

thanks Ed, I found that site before, and I was trying to download the azpr.zip file that is supposed to do the job, but it wont let me download the file, think the file has been removed from the FTP location or there is some problem with the site....Ill keep looking and thanks!! Jay~

put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

Jay;

I was able to download azpr.zip
If you want to e-mail me at esavickas1@home.com I can send it to you.

Ed

Thanks Eguy, I eventually downloaded the file and installed, but what Im looking for now is a crack so I can get passwords greater then 5 characters!
thanks for your help anyway... Jay~

put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

just to let you all know,
this has been solved!!! I downloaded AZPR, but an earlier version that allowed me to get passwords over 5 characters long....if anyone wants it, they can do a search for the .zip file which is called L2K_az30.zip (sorry I cant remember the site I got it from!!)
Thanks all for your help!!!! Jay~

put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back