Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinZip files display

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazbrown

Programmer
Feb 13, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to display the file contents of a winzip program onto a form in VB? Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

I have some VB that does this, but it's rather ugly, since I couldn't find a simple or clean way to do it.

The way I did it is

- Create a command-line unzipping string:
("E:\WinZip\wzunzip.exe" -vbf "C:\SomeFile.zip" > "C:\TempZipList.txt")

I'll call the command-string 'scmd'

The '-vbf' options are the switches for listing the file contents; check the WinZip helpfiles, which explain all the command-line switches. The last portion of the string is a DOS trick which 'pipes' the results out to a textfile (I learned this from my boss - don't know where it's documented, but it works).

- Then, write the command string out to a batch file, and execute the batch file with a Windows Script Host shell command. This seems like an extra step...but for some reason (the pipe-command I guess, since the WinZip command string alone runs fine with the WiSH.Run command) prevents WSH from running correctly, although no error is generated.

Create Windows Script Host object:
Set oWiSH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Create FileSystemObject (to write command-string to batch file)
Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set oFile = oFSO.CreateTextFile(sBatchFile, True)
oFile.WriteLine (scmd)
iZipErrCode = oWiSH.Run(sBatchFile, 7, True)

The result is a textfile containing a list of the files in the zip archive. If you want to do anything with the list you'll have to parse the file, as there's a lot of other crap in there besides the filenames.

I think I have the parsing code somewhere if you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back