Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winxpPro and winxpHome networked & file sharing error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japetto12

Technical User
Aug 9, 2001
US
hello.. i am running a windowsXP Home machine and have a WindowsXP Pro machine I'm trying to connect & use file sharing with. I am able to share and access the C: drive on the XPpro PC from the XPhome PC, but when I try vice versa, the XPpro machine will always give me the message: "\\computer-name is not accessible. "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

I am using an Administrator account on both machines. I can't find the inconsistency in either machine, they are set up identically as far as I can tell. If anyone could give me any help it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this

The problem is with user rights assignments -- permissions -- on both computers.

The Guest account settings in Control Panel | User Accounts has nothing to do with networked access. They determine whether someone can log on as "Guest" at the keyboard.

If the desktop computer runs Windows XP Professional:

1. Click Start | Run, type "secpol.msc" in the box, and click OK.
2. Click Local Policies.
3. Click User Rights Assignment.
4. Click "Access this computer from the network" and make sure that the Everyone group is included.
5. Click "Deny access to this computer from the network" and make sure that the Everyone group is NOT included.
6. Click Start button, Run, and enter: net user guest /active:yes

If the desktop computer runs Windows XP Home Edition, the "secpol.msc" program isn't available. To make the required user rights assignments:

1. Download and install the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit Tools from
2. Click Start | All Programs | Windows Resource Kit Tools | Command Shell.

3. Copy/paste thelines below into a Notepad session. Then do a File, Save as..., and enter the filename fix_lan.cmd
[quuote]
net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
[/quote]

Last step: A registry change for both Home and Pro:

Start, Run, regedit
Navigate to this Value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA
RestrictAnonymous

If this key is set to 1, change it to 0 (that is a zero)

By default XP Pro is set to use the "Simple File Sharing" in non-Domain settings. This is identical to the networking model used in XP Home. Under Simple File sharing all access authentication is done through the Guest account. If you on the Pro machine have changed the model, checkmark 'Use simple file sharing - recommended' in Control Panel, Folder Options, View (down near the bottom of the list).

Power off workstations, routers, modem
Power on modem, routers, workstations

Test.

The above section 3 should read:

3. Copy/paste the lines below into a Notepad session. Then do a File, Save as..., and enter the filename fix_lan.cmd
net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

Double click fix_lan.cmd to run the little program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back