Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP Pro Shutdown Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ2204

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
GB
I have a Windows XP Pro system and when I shut down the computer it restarts automatically. It does not shut down. If I then just switch off it does a scandisk on restart.

Any ideas?

Russell

To start, go to Control Panel/System and select the Advanced tab. Click the Setting button in the Startup and Recovery section. Uncheck "Automatic Restart" in the System failure section. This should get your system to shut down properly.

Now; the cause of the system failure:

The only thing that I know will produce this behaviour on a regular basis is Roxio EZ CD Creator that does not have the upgrade patch for WinXP. If you are using EZCDC, go to the Roxio site and download and then install the patch and see if that solves the problem.

If that doesn't, use msconfig (Start/Run and type msconfig) and disable start up apps until the problem disappears.

HTH

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back