Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP Pro and Win 2000 Server on different subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelvinSE

MIS
Nov 25, 2003
US
Here's the situation:

We have two different subnets in the building. Before now, there were no systems (other than one server running 2000) older than 98SE or NT4. Seeing all the workstations in the entire organization was never a problem with NetBEUI. Here's where it gets fun.

Our domain servers reside on one subnet. Our AS/400 system resides on another. This, while annoying, was not a problem when I configured a new system with XP Pro. Reason being, the specific user did not need to access the AS/400 and resides on the domain server subnet which means there is no problem accessing the file shares. However, the XP system could not see any workstation that was on the AS/400 subnet.

Today, I am configuring a new XP Pro system needs to be on the AS/400 subnet (and is therefore on a completely different subnet than the servers). Even with the different subnets, I can log into the system, be authenticated and see file shares. I can also see systems on the other subnet (?!?), unlike with the first XP system. Whhaaaaattt? The only system I CAN'T see from the second XP system is the Win 2000 server (which is on a different subnet). My head is about to explode.

Anyway, I've enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP and installed NetBEUI on both XP systems. How can I get this whole mess to work? What am I missing or not configuring correct between the 2000 and XP systems? Thanks for any help!

By the way, the two XP systems, while on different subnets, do see each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back