Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP printers and SCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfurm

Technical User
May 28, 2000
GB
Hi

I have some windows XP PC's with printers attached to the parallel port. I have installed Print Services for Unix on the XP PC's and setup some printers using rlpconf that can successfully print to these winxp printers.
My problem is that when one of our applications sends some escape characters to change the pitch or orientation instead of carrying out the commands it prints them. I have tried changing the printers driver options from RAW to ELF and vice versa and also adding the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LPDSVC\Parameters\SimulatePassThrough. When I set this to 1 as some docs on the net suggest printing stops altogether.

Anybody got any ideas?

depending on what type of printer this is, it could be doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Some printers are set to print out control sequences that are in error.

I always start an lpd problem by saying make sure the :ex: option is NOT set in /etc/printcap and that the :mx#0: is.

Thanks stanhubble

The printer I am testing with is an HP Deskjet 820CXI. When using the LPR deamon from Hummingbird NFS Maestro and Win98/NT with this printer it works OK. Its only Winxp that I am having the problem with. My printcap entry is OK.

winxp: :lp=:rm=winxp:rp=printer1:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/winxp:mx#0

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back