Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP not recognizing CD Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC21

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2003
US
Hi all,
when I recently uninstalled some CD recording software (adaptec) I removed 2 drivers associated with the program. After this was done, my computer no longer recognized my D and E drives, my CD drives (when going to MY COMPUTER, only the A: drive shows). I tried to uninstall the devices and re-install them but Windows tells me that the driver is either corrupt or missing. My question is...

What are the names of these drivers,where can i find them and where do I put it? Im sure they are on the Windows XP install disc but I cant even access it so im all out of ideas.

**Any help would be more than appreciated...I have a project due and putting it together requires me to burn files onto a disc. THANKS!

Adaptec burning software rewrites the CDROM values in the registry. Hense, the reason once you delete it, the drive no longer functions. The foremeantioned thread should take you to where you need to go. You can also do a search in Microsoft KNowledge Base for "Adaptec XP CD-rom", if the previous links do not take you where you need to go. You'll have to open regedit and delete the values. BE SURE, you back up the registry before you attempt this, however. Good Luck!

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back