Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP lost a HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

varcoris

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
I have been running a dual boot of Windows XP and ME for about a week. Today, Windows XP crashed (the infamous Nv4_disp.dll BSOD) After XP recovered and rebooted my second HDD showed up incorrectly. Still drive D but the name was wrong and XP said the file format was "RAW", needing to be reformated. Thing is, I rebooted to WinME and I can read and use the drive as normal, all of my files are there, I can read and write to the drive, etc. How in the world do I fix this? I really need access to the drive in XP without (hopefully) having to reformat it. I use Partition Magic 7 in XP and PM7 shows the drive properly. Is this a bad MBR? FAT Tables screwed up? I've tried scandisk from ME without results .... I can get just about any info you want so just ask. Thanks
Varcoris

Have you looked at the help and support section for repair and recovery advice. The option for "system restore" or "last known good" might help. If ME is reading your drive correctly something in XP seems in error and will require repairing.

Yeah, I tried for almost 16 hours to figure it out. Nothing worked and I finally had to just move all the data off from inside Windows ME and then Fdisk and reformat it. seems to be working fine again but I shour would like to know what happened! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back