Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP hidden shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hungster

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2001
CA
i Posted this before but got nowhere with it
just want to check back to see if any one has this uncovered, i assume you know how easy to get access to hidden shares in Win2k pro, Win2k server

i tried everything, by creating a user that allow access to d$ and i can not access it, a logon pops up and ask you to type in the username and password, but what ever i use admin or the dummy i create will not work, it just re-pop again.
Could this be solved by .NET server domain ??

Have you tried creating a non-hidden share and connecting to it? Whenever I tried to access my XP box's hidden shares from another pc, all I use is the Administrator account and it connects fine, no permission changes necessary. But, of course, I always remove all hidden shares from my computer, way too much of a security risk.

Yes if i create a share, then account and password entered works fine

if you have so much important stuff, you wouldn't be plug your computer into internet or network

at least i am not in the bank and worry about people stealing my information. If they want it badly enough, they can have it.

Have you tried using the computer name where the user account is stored then the account name? Aka.
Name: Computer2\user2
Password: Userspass
or
Name: \\Computer2\user2
To connect to remote terminals on our small network that's what we had to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back