Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP client doesnt actually see Win2K Server.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rulbano

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2001
US
Ok, here is the scenario -

Windows 2000 Server - DOMAIN CONTROLLER
3 Windows XP Pro Clients
Linksys Router -
Cable Modem Internet Connection

Whenever I want to share out a drive or folder in any of the XP machines, the process would be activating the share configuration, and then adding whomever, whether it be user, group, or PC, to access the drive or folder. After I click on Add, the SELECT USERS or GROUP window appears, in this window, theres an box marked LOCATIONS, and it only sees the client itself, and not the entire domain.

Here is some background. The Linksys Router obviously provides IPs and Firewall. The server has the AD up and running/configured to which all 3 Client machines are joined to the Domain Controller. When I access Network Places, I can see the other PCs, including the server and printers in the Network. The Network is setup for Domain, and not Workgroup.

Why does this happen? How can I make it, which when I add someone, when creating a share, that the PC recognizes the entire network?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back