Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP capable of Mirror?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calcamco

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2000
US
Is Windows XP capable of providing Raid-1 Disk mirroring?
Is there any product that can provide Raid-1 with XP Pro?

Best off getting an IDE hardware raid card. They are pretty cheep. Cheeper controllers support RAID0/1/0+1. You will probably need to re-install XP. You could be clever and use sysprep to install your new controllers drivers, but it isn't easy, and may be easier to reinstall. I don't know if there is any third party software that provides software RAID. Problem is that this will require the OS and processor to perform the mirroring, hand hence your performance decrease. Good Luck!!!

Right click My Computer -> manage -> Disk Management.

You can setup a software mirror from here, although Paganatron is right in suggesting that a hardware Raid is more reliable.
If you setup a software mirror from within XP remember to create an ERD so that you can boot if your mirror fails

Can XP Home create a mirror..??
There is no option to create mirror for me..?

Neither XP Home or Professional support hardware fault tolerance natively.

Hardware devices that support fault tolerance, such as RAID controllers, can make a Windows XP Professional fault tolerant, but it is this third party hardware solution that is providing the fault tolerance, not the Windows XP Professional operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back