Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP/BEFSR41v2 Can't ping router but can browse Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

optidigix

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2000
US
Have a cable modem connected to a Linksys BESF41 v2 Router.
2 computers
1. Win 98 2. WinXP Pro.
I can file share, printer share and browse the Internet (Opera and IE) with no problems at all. Email works too.

I however can not seem to ping any ip address on my network. Get the error "transmit failed, error code 65"
I can ping the loopback address and am 100% sure my NIC is fine (obiviously.) Can't ping gateway can't ping past gateway.

Gateway IP 192.168.0.1
XP and 98 are using DHCP to obtain IP and DNS

All I care about though is figuring out the problem on the XP box/Router. Please do not discuss the 98 box.

(What am I trying to do: I tried to run the Firmware update which uses a TFTP prog. It cant find the router.)

optidigix,

I'd be willing to bet you have some firewall software running on the XP box. Could be ZoneAlarm, XP's ICF, Norton or some thing of that sort. You need to configure it to allow Ping/ICMP traffic to the trusted network and include your LAN addresses in the Trusted Network.

Try turning off the firewall and see if you can ping. If so, then you can adjust the configuration.

Hope that helps.
[yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

Thanks Oldman. I figured it out a bit after my post. I played with a few things and everything is now okay.

OPti

For the sake of the next person to read this thread, can you elaborate on what you played around with to get it to work? --
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back