Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP Activated but can't logon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenWright

Technical User
Mar 22, 2003
GB
Just loaded Win XP Pro from an MSDN disk on to a new drive. WinXP formatted the drive for me and then got all the way through the installation and hit the activation option. Chose to activate and register and it said it was successful, but when I tried to log on it told me I needed to activate. I hit the activate option again and it told me i needed to contact microsoft, so I use the number given, follow the instructions, take the code they give me and plug that in. It tells me it is successful, but then prompts me to log on, and when I try to, it tells me it needs to be activated. I hit the activation option again and it tells me that it is already activated, so gives me a logon screen, but then tells me it needs to be activated and so on and so on. I'm in a loop here that I can't seem to get out of. Any ideas?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Probably something that should be sorted out via Microsoft Activation Support, have a look at these too.

You are prompted to activate Windows every time that you restart your computer

Xp Keeps requiring to be activated
thread779-968140

XP Activation Loop
thread779-1004125

Thanks linney - will give it a go and let you know.

Regards
Ken..............

Grrrrrr - just realised that I had an external drive in when I installed, and my primary hard drive letter is now not C, which I want it to be. Am going to do a reformat and install again rather than mess about. Will let you know if i still have the same issue then.

Regards
Ken..............

Same issue. Tried all the steps in

but in Step 3: Remove the RESETS registry subkey
there was no such key.

in Step 7: Replace the corrupted Windows activation file
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
expand drive :\i386\wpa.db_ %windir%\system32\wpa.dbl

Did this and it said that no destination directory had been specified, so did it manually using explorer.

in Step 8: Remove the files that are associated with the script

Didnt find any such files?

At this point I kind of got frustrated and and tried changing the product key to the KN version that I have with my MSDN subscription, and so it generated an installation ID and gave me telephone number to get an activation code. I type in my 8 or 9 sets of 6 digits, and then it tells me it is unable to do it and so will pass me to a customer rep (Woo Hoo - at last!!!!!) at which point a voice comes on and says that they are having technical troubles, please call back in an hour!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaagggghhhhh.

I'm sure that once you find a real person on the end of the phone at Microsoft they will be able to sort out this nonsense for you. At least I hope so.

Have you tried activating it from "Safe Mode with Networking" in an environment away from any interference by security type programs such as virus scanners and the like? Have you tried the activation from another admin user?

Do let us know what the final solution is when you find it.

Created other admin accounts but it will not let me log on to any of them other than in safe mode, and when i try to activate in safe mode it tells me that you cannot activate in safe mode. Will try calling MS tomorrow.

Regards
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back