Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winword.exe error

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorehead

Technical User
May 24, 2001
GB

OK. I'm at my wits end - it's probably something really basic but here goes.....

My end users have recently (last 2.5 weeks) been getting the following error in MS Word (2000):

"Winword.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created."

The error is intermittent at the best of times, and kicks off with all sorts of different files - sometimes it's fine, sometimes not. I have reinstlled Office 2k, re-service packed it (SP2), deleted and recreated user profile, uninstalled all free-ware and gone back to standard build, uninstalled and reinstalled printer drivers. And more besides.

Domain is mixed mode 2k, clients are 2k, with Office 2K, SQL client 7, Goldmine, winzip 8, IE5.5, all the usual - nothing special.

Sharp AR286 copier/printer - could this be a problem? It's got the latest firmwares and softwares and the latest Pcl5e drivers.

Grateful for any help - I can't crack this one!!

Jim..

!.....an error log is being created."

What does it say? Have you located and read it?

It might just give us a few clues.

Also check out a thread "Bizzare Windows Error"

Good Luck

Aslo check out a thread called "Bizzare Windows Error"

Good Luck

The error log that it creates isn't named. I have looked up *.log to find a drwatson32.log that is recent. Unfortunately my talents in deciphering Hex have not developed past "eeek, what the fu**'s that all about".

I can email the log out if anyone wants.

Thanks again

Jim..

Hmmm...have the users got the right permissions, i.e. can they change the contents of the MS Office folder?

Maybe try recreating the shortcuts?...

If I think of anything else, I'll post it...

Thanks for the help people,

thatrenowned - thanks. I checked they can read write to all areas needed, and the app is run direct off the start/programs menu at the moment, although I have tried it a number of different ways, none of which makes any difference.

LeKirk - The other thread you mention is not really appropriate, but thanks for the efforts.

OK. Any other ideas floating out there in the ether?????

Have you tried swapping out the RAM, I read a thread a few days ago that reminds me of your issue, and that is how the user fixed it. I have the exact problem, but am in a budget freeze, so I can't try it out.
Good luck

Try...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office
Copy "Winword" icon to the desktop

Good Luck.

OK. Thanks for all your ideas.

For reference: this whole situation was caused by crap Sharp drivers. The pcl6 drivers for ARPB2A printer board only work periodically on win2k. Don't use them.

Use the pcl5e drivers instead (remembering to clean all old driver files off beforehand) and you should have no problems.

Does anyone know how to fix this. I just recieved this using Office 2000 on a Windows 2000 Workstation. Every time you click the icon, you get the message "Winword.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows". I uninstalled the program and then reinstalled Office and the message still comes up. Not sure how this is possible, but it does.
Eddie Martin
Network Support Technician

Email: Eddie@digitechcomputer.com

**Don't forget to mark post helpful if it helps to answer your question. It may come in handy for others as well**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back