Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinSXS under Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMozley

Programmer
Oct 15, 2005
GB
I apologise if this has been answered before. On my Windows 7 machine there is a folder Windows\Winsxs. This has 7 GB of files and folders within it.

I understand that this is to do with Windows Updates. Do I need all these files, and if not, how should I set about removing them?

On searching for a solution, I see the recommendation to run Disk Cleanup (Windows Start key | Disk Cleanup ) I have run this, and after I click on "Cleanup System files", it certainly displays a window "Scanning service pack Backup Files" However this option, although it has removed a few files, still leaves the 7GB.

If anyone has successfully dealt with this problem (or even established that these are all necessary files) I would be most grateful for guidance.

The WinSxS folder contains files for fixing side-by-side (SxS) configuration issues. If you are not short of space, I'd leave these alone as you don't know which executables use which DLLs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back