Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'WINSRVC.EXE NOT FOUND' error...please read!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geeksRus

Technical User
Nov 3, 2000
US
I know this has been covered before but it keeps cropping up...this error message is caused by the 'NAVIDAD' virus or a form of this virus. norton.com and mcafee.com both have small utilities that will remove and repair this virus.
A great antivirus program is available FOR FREE at antivirus.cai.com Free upgrades for life! Please everyone...update your antivirus now...as a tech I see systems everyday with outdated versions of antivirus software that are absolutely useless.

Navidad is simple to fix in command line if you have the documentation. One file rename, two registry key deletions, and one file deletion.
But you can't fix it if you don't have the documentation. So along with having up to date definitions, I'd also suggest that you find where to get definitions and documentation and file it away for when you'll need it.
This also brings up the question of documentation of systems. If you don't know what you have and the install order and the user names and passwords then you are a good way up the creek when the hard drive fails.
Backup? Whats that?
And I'm not disagreeing with geeksRus. He/She didn't come down on users hard enough.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back