Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winspool.drv 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheasant

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
GB
Running WinME on Pentium III desktop machine, I get a report during boot that 'winspool.drv' is missing. Can't find this file on the WinME installation CD.

I could use some help in locating the file. Any ideas ?

Not sure if that's a real system file for printing, or maybe a virus/spyware related file. Can you print? Are you having any problems other than that error?

If you go to start>run, type msconfig, click ok, and go to the startup tab, you should be able to find the winspool.drv entry, uncheck it, and click ok. That should get rid of the error. If you aren't having any other problems, update your virus scanner, and scan for viruses. I also recommend loading spybot from updating it, and scanning for spywares.

Matt J.

Matt

I think you could be right on the virus issue - so I have moved up to XP, and added Norton AV 2004 - sure enough, there was a worm or two sitting in the system, which Norton eliminated right away.

Taking out static VxDs in msconfig did the trick in ME, but interfered with some devices - at least it proved where the problem lay.

System running like a top now - let's hope it stays that way, and thanks for the help.

Richard

The system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back