Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winsock problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

MIS
Nov 20, 1999
US
This isn't about a particular problem, but about a trend I've been seeing. Is it just me, or have any of you noticed a lot of winsock problems lately. Any program or client or browser that overwrites the current winsock can throw a workstation into havok. I've seen client32 do it, the windows desktop update, and all kinds of 3rd party programs. when you try to restore the winsock using wsbackup.bat, sometimes it fixes the problems, sometimes it creates new ones, like not being able to ping anymore. The only solution when that happens is to uninstall tcp/ip and client32(IF APPLICABLE), reboot, then reinstall. The problems range from actuall errors to a workstation not being able to shut down. I've seen this problem at so many customer sights that I know it can't be something I'm doing wrong. Especially since most of the networks I work on were put in by someone else. Any comments or suggestions?<br>
<br>
<br>
Joe

JoeB,<br>
<br>
Is this problem with NT workstation or 95 workstations? I know it sounds like a stupid question seeing as you posted it here in the NT forum but, I have ran into this problem alot in 95 workstations and the Novell Client32 install. I have never had this happen to us using NT workstation though.<br>
<br>
If it's 95 workstation I think I can help, if it's NT workstation I am not sure.

You know, you're right. I guess I havn't seen it on an NT workstation either. But, since I usually only work in an NT environment, this is really the only forum I've checked out. Like I said, it's not one particular problem, I've seen this problem in a lot of environments. Basically, any application or client that overwrites the winsock. Sometimes using ws2backup.bat works, sometimes you have to uninstall and reinstall tcp/ip. I would appreciate any insight you may have though.

OK When you run the ws2bakup.bat from the wsbakup directory under windows it can't write over e few files because they are in use so you have to abort to get around these. After the batch ffile finished though you need to restart in DOS mode and re-run the wsbakup.bat file to overwrite the files that couldn't be done while 95 was up and running. This has worked for me 90% of the time with no problem even with the Client32 still installed. <br>
<br>
One sure way I have found to get around this is to install the TCP/IP 2.0 stack update BEFORE installing the Novell Client32(you can find this almost anywhere but, check Microsofts website if you can't find it). If you are upgrading the client the best thing to do is uninstall the existing client first and install the IP 2.0 update first. Sounds like a ot of added work but, it'll save you time down the road. <br>
<br>
The IP 2.0 update is what is screwing things up in the first place. Even if you say IPX only during the Client32 install it starts a small IP update prior to the install anyway and then aborts it. Sometimes you don't have problems but, in my case I have had it screw things up more than install smooth. Unless the IP 2.0 update is already in place. When it does the little IP update and then halts it you end up with bits and pieces of the old IP stack and the IP 2.0 stack and as you have seent ehy don't work well together.<br>
<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.<br>

ok,
maybe one of you guys can shed some light on the problem. We are running win95 workstations with client 32. We were previously using novell's ipx/ip gateway, which we have since done away with. During the transition from ipx/ipgw, TCP/IP failed on the PC's. In most instances we were able to resolve the problem by uninstalling he network components, deleting all the winsock files, rebooting and reinstalling everything. TCP/IP (MS) first, then client 32. On the workstations that failed, we have tried running the winsock2 update, tried running ws2backup.bat, used the latest version of client 32, tried renaming the v*.386 files associated with MS TCP/IP, tried extracting from CAB files. This pretty much covers everything Microsoft and Novell technical support had for infomation. But nothing was able to resolve the problems(specifiacally, error code 6, error code 10091, and error code 10043, when pinging from the affected ws.) Any other tips on how to resolve the problem without having to reimage the PC's? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

Dpellegrini,

You didn't mention this in your post. When you say you uninstalled all networking components, are you including removing the Novell Client also? If so, how did you do this? You should run the Unc32.exe that resides in the ADMIN folder of the client you unzipped and used. This is the only real clean way to uninstall the Novell client on a 95/98 workstation. With NT 4.0 and 2000 you don't need to use this method when uninstalling because the OS handles it much better than 95/98.

I would uninstall the Novell client like I mentioned above before performing all the other stuff you mentioned. After which I would apply the TCPIP 2.0 stack update. Reboot the system and try to ping something on your network before even doing a Novell client install. No need to install the client until you know if IP is working yet or not. Just make sure you have the NIC and TCPIP loaded and see what happens. If this is successful then you should be safe to install the Novell client.

I am not sure if I answered you in the way you were looking for so, let me know if I have helped or not OK?

I've tried both ways of getting rid of Client32. I've used the Unc32.exe utility as well as just deleting the components in Network Neighborhood. Both ways had the same results, or lack of I should say. I've tried installing (reinstalling) just the MS components TCP/IP. I've upgraded one workstation with Win2k and I had no TCP/IP problems. So I guess, yeah you answered my question, that everything I've tried didn't work, except upgrading the OS or reimaging the system. I had lot's of success in our home office, but our branch office didn't seem to go as well, even though the configs are the same. If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Thanks,
Dom

Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

Dom,

Now that we've established you have used the unc32.exe and still had no luck. After using this method of getting rid of the Novell client, did you try running the ws2bakup.bat file in both windows and then again in DOS mode? If so, what errors (if different that what you posted earlier) did you receive?

The next step I would take would be to so a search for files ws*.dll and see if the versions of Winsock, Wsock32 are different. If they are you might try taking copies of these files form a working system and replacing them on the non-working system (I had to do this on some laptops with the same problem you have described). You may need to restart the non-working system in DOS mode to replace these files.

Don't know if this will help you, but it's worht a look at.

Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back