Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winsock or internet transfer control 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPBURBE

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
CA
Would it be easier to use the Internet transfer control? Here is what i am trying to do. Oracle sends data to a network card ip instead of the printer, i retrieve the data, bring it into a vb form, merge it with a pre-created pdf form, and send it to a fax machine..... Any ideas?

i guess that your best choice is mswinsock ocx.
Why?
'cause you can't create threads in VB the best way (that i know) to do a multi-conn application is to load a new instance of the control each time that ConnectionRequest happens.

In the new instance, set the localport to 0 (zero), and accept the request.
OnClose, unload the instance.
You can handle the winsock control array with its index.
Once that you create a control array, each event has an index (integer type) param.

With element 0 (zero) you can be listen on any port.
when element(0) got a ConnectionRequest you should load a new instance, controling the number of instances with a global variable. On each ConnectionRequest, gVar = gVar + 1
thats the new element to load.

would i do all this under one command button? Never used this before not sure how to work it...the only example i have is about an email.

the quetions are:
do you need concurrent connections?
are you the server-side or the client-side?

write me an email, i can send you some api sample and some winsock ocx sample.

what is your email address and i will......if you don't want to give it so everyone can see it mines

JPBURBE@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back