Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS - Why can't I browse via START, RUN, \\name ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thainjm

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
GB
Hi,

I've added a static WINS entry of FREDBLOGGS for a machine on our network.

I can now ping FREDBLOGGS, but I can't browse to the machine using START, RUN, \\FREDBLOGGS. I can browse to it via \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (IP address) though.

Why is this?

Thanks,

Jason.

What OS do you use? (on the client side)
The fact that ping is working it means that IP is working (IP name resolution).
When you use \\server\ then the system will try to solve NeBIOS name.
If you use \\ip_address\ it has no name to solve, and it will go directly to the destination server.
Now, of corse, you have to check the setings related with NetBIOS.
Is it WINS server working? What's hapend if you are trying to browse the network (via Network Neighborhood))?
My oppinion is that your WINS are not working.
What settings do you have on that client side (TCP/IP settings)?
Maybe it will help you the above ideas. Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Another option is to type net view \\fredbloggs from a command line--that will show you any active shares. I don't have a lot of experience with NT but I think that you need to have an active share before you can browse the machine.

Joe Brouillette

I've exactly the same problem here but this happens only when i connect through VPN and I can't ping the netbios name, I've this problem only with the PDC wich is also the WINS server the more amazing is that i can ping the BDC throuth netbios name and not the WINS server itself...

the only difference between the 2 servers is that under their TCP/IP properties they was using different DNS Suffixes , Don't blame me I didn't set up this server... I've changed that today and hadn't the time to restart the server yet, can you verify that you don't have different dns suffix on your server FREDBLOGGS

Also My PDC have 2 NIC adapters, I've a static multihomed entry for this server in the WINS database, do you have the same ?

I keep you up to date with this

Regards

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back