Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS server/ Master Browser list problem Please HELP !

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulopg

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2000
US
In our network we have 2 diff subnets. On each subnet there is a WINS server. These 2 are set in a push-pull mode so the databases (browser list) is updated between the 2 networks. The problem is that in theory I should have no problem seeing any pc on subnet "B" from subnet "A". We do not have this working. If I am on subnet "A" , I cannot browse the network and expect to find any PC from subent "B". However if I know the name I can get to it (I can also ping it).
It seems that our Master browser list is not staying in one place so that may be one problem. It seems to shit after elections from PC to PC. We are unsure if there is something we missed but we cannot get this issue resolved, and we tried dearly !

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INSIGHT OR SUGGESTIONS PLEASE LET US KNOW.

You can through the registry, turn off the election to be a browse-master. What OS do you have on the clients? Is sharing turned on or off? Don't forget the browse list is not an immediate thing. It takes time. Do you have a wins server perscribed in the clients? Do you use DHCP? [sig]<p>Draq<br><a href=mailto:comtutor@uswestmail.net>comtutor@uswestmail.net</a><br>Good Luck with this information<br>
"It's not what you know, or who you know, but who you know that knows what !" --- Me<br>
"Visualize Whirled Peas" --- Kelly Bundy[/sig]

Hi

Thnk you for your very quick response. Here is the additional info you asked.
Yes we are using DHCP,and the wins servers are indicated in the tables. Yes the clients WINS settings are of the correct WINS servers and they all have it.
Our current farm of PCs is very mixed. We are running Win 95 (few) Win 98 50% Win NT 4 (50%).
As far as the registry settings go, I turned all of the WinNT boxes from the &quot;Automatic&quot; to the &quot;No&quot; settings. This was done over a week ago. The Win 9x boxes do have sharing turned on, I did not want to tuch them until I can get the Win NT boxes working. To give you a feel for the problem, we have been working on this issue on and off for 3 weeks. Not frantically but enough.Bye the way I checked for the Domain Master browser today and it is moved agin. This time it is one of the WINS servers itself. Our PDC is multihommed therefore I can see it from either side of the network, however it does not keep the browser list. If I force a reelection it will grab it, then if someone with a WinNT box logges on the domain it forces a reelection at most likely will move the list agin. Weird ha ?
[sig][/sig]

We have a very similar problem, we have 2 subnets 192.168.150.x and 192.168.100.x computers on the different subnets can ping each other but cant see each other through the browers. One of the machines has 2 network cards in it and is the wins server and dhcp server for both networks, with ipfowarding enabled.

I would be very interested in hearing a solution to this problem as we have had the same thing happening for 6 months or more now. [sig][/sig]

I am searching for info on this as we speak, and I came across an articel. Tell me if this is something you already tried. (Or have you tried anything yet ?)

According to the article the WINS servers on each subnet must each point to themselves as the primary and secondary WINS server in the Network COntrol Panel/TCP IP Properties /Wins tab.

I had the incorrect IPs (according to the articel) on one of the WINS servers and nothing at all in the other. I made the corrections and will rebot the servers tonite if possible. Check your settings. In other words if your &quot;WINS 1&quot; server has an IP 192.168.100.x it should have the ssame IP in the WINS tab as described above.
If you have this and is correct and the problem still occures please notify me.

Thank you [sig][/sig]

We had a problem with a multihomed PDC which caused absolute havoc with our browsing. Apparently PDCs should not have multiple NICs in multi netted environments. Also, the Domain Master Browser should always be your PDC, with a Master Browser on each subnet. The follwing KB article should be usefull to you. At the bottom there are a few links to more relevant articles.

[sig][/sig]

Thank you for your info.

Unfortunately all the tips you told me is already tried out.
Our PDC is no longer on a Multihomed server. However her is where I stand with it now. Our Wins server on the 192.168.8 subnet is the PDC for the domain. The other subnet's Wins is replecating via push-pull. This subnet is 209.208.195.
Users on the 192 subnet are on DHCP and can see all the domains and all the users from both subnets. However users on the 209 subnet ONLY see those on the 209 subnet.

At this point we tried many things to which we can find reference on the web. However we are out of tricks.

Greg [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back