Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS Server configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Code666

MIS
Feb 4, 2004
US
if this has been asked many times before i apologize. i've been looking for an answer as to how a WINS server should be configured. currently our two production boxes are set in the follwing manner -

WINS server 1
WINS tab > WINS addresses, in order of use:
WINS server 1 IP
WINS server 2 IP

WINS server 2
WINS server 2 IP
WINS server 1 IP

is this correct? i read somewhere that the WINS servers should be pointed to themselves only, like so -

WINS server 1
WINS server 1 IP

WINS server 2
WINS server 2 IP

any clarification on what is the preferred set-up (and why?) would be greatly appreciated, or at leat if anyone can comment how things are set-up in their shops would be very welcome.

I was taught that WINS servers point to themselves for WINS, clients reference many.

scottie

thanks for the reply buddafish. i finally found an article that confirms what you said, the server should be pointed to itself only. it's funny how there are so few documents that point things out like this and when you find them its by accident, thanks again!

There's a reason there's not much written on WINS. I see the day coming when we don't use WINS servers at all. Until then, check out
WINS Scripting
and
Installing WINS servers

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin/Central Florida feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers
[xmastree]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back