Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS Replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vansplatter

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2001
US
Quick question about what should be seen after replication has taken place. Should the dB's look exactly the same after replication between my primary and secondary? More specifcally should the servers running on the network be seen in both dB's despite which one issued the lease? If you need more info let me know and I WILL post back. Thanks in Advance.

Van-

HI.

* At both servers you should see the "whole picture".
You can also show mappings by "Owner" if I remember correctly, where the "Owner" is the server that received the registration. It might be that a different term is used.

* Monitor the event logs on both servers.

* Use ping by netbios name at a workstation in one network to a computer in the other network to test. And vice versa.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

You can also write a batch file to make certain that all WINS databases are consistant in size to verify that replication is working.

Example :

dir \\SERVERNAME1\c$\winnt\system32\wins\wins.mdb > d:\logs\winssize.log
dir \\SERVERNAME2\c$\winnt\system32\wins\wins.mdb >> d:\logs\winssize.log

the file d:\logs\winsize.log should show you WINS databases of the same size if done correctly. Please note that the above batch file should only be 2 lines, sorry about the wraparound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back