Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS question (NT 4.0 to W2K migration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaresa

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2002
US
I am in the process of migrating from NT 4.0 to W2K. I am renaming the all of my PC's, mail and file servers using DNS compliant naming convention (most of my machines use an underscore in the netbios name)but have one vendor with approx. 8 servers on the network that doesn't know how to make the necessary configuration changes within their application to accomodate a name change.

At this point, they are the only thing holding up my migration. If I stick a W2K WINS server on the network will this allow me to proceed with my migration yet allow these (or any other non-compliant DNS)PC's to communicate with the rest of my network?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Is it possible to reconfigure your applications to use IP addresess rather than NetBIOS names? In general I would recomend to completely avoid of using NetBIOS in the pure W2k/W2003/WXP environment. Enable the NetBIOS on W2k DC's only.
Anyway, you can implement a WINS in W2k Environment because of your old servers/applications. Futhermore, you can integrate DNS with WINS. So, there must be no problems.

Good luck.

Victor K
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);CNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA;Net+;CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back