Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesevil

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2004
US
The network at my office has started to show problems regarding WINS. Computers are mixed between XP Pro and 2000 Pro. We have a server running server2k, but it is currently not running any server services (eg. wins, dns, rras) and is not running a domain.

Anyways, depending on the 'mood' of the network, some computers do not show when the workgroup is pulled up from my network places. For instance, on Computer 1, I can connect to the server by pointing to \\server, but the server's name does show in the workgroup.

So, sometimes when I pull up the workgroup, 4 computers show. Sometimes its 10, sometimes 0, regardless of how many computers are actually connected. I do not know what is going on, but it is strange.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Me again. I read an article somewhere that explained master browsers and browser elections and so on and so forth. I configured the server as the master browser through regedit. This seemed to fix the problem on some computers, not others.

Right now, I have one computer on the LAN that will only read 4 computers out of 11. This is driving me crazy.

As always, comments are appreciated.

-Jamieson

this may help. quoted from
Can't see any or only some computers in My Network Places

Symptoms: you can map the remote computers' shared folder, but you are experiencing the following issues:
1. Can't see any or some computers in My Network Places.
2. It takes long time to show networking computers in My Network Places.
3. The networking computers show in My Network Places randomly.

Resolutions: this is likely Computer Browser issue.
1. If there is a multi-homed or RAS machine on your network becoming the browse master for the wrong subnet, disable the Computer Browser service on the computer.
2. Check any errors in Event Viewer, especially Browser error. If you have peer to peer workgroup network, you may want to disable Computer Browser services on w2k/xp.
3. If you can't disable the Computer Browser service because the compute is the PDC, you can unbind NetBIOS from one interface in network advanced settings.
4. W2K/XP may not show on the My Network Places if it doesn't use Windows Logon Passwords or has blank password.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Check out this FAQ:

Master Browser issues faq96-3728

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back