Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS/DNS Across VLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WANguy2k

MIS
Feb 25, 2002
US
I'm currently breaking up our networks into VLANS and readdressing all IP devices. For the most part, computers and servers will be on the same VLANs, but other devices will not. If I want devices on a different VLAN to register in WINS and DNS, what's the best way to make sure the devices can see the server and vice versa? I've seen some suggestions like ip forwarders for port 137 and 138 on the switch, and IP directed broadcasts, but I'm hoping someone who's done this has advice or a document to help out. Thanks in advance.

VLANs don't stop port traffic so as long as you have routes to the servers, WINS/DNS functionality should work fine.

So if a device does a netbios broadcast who answers if there's no server on that subnet. I will have routes to all the other vlans, but how is broadcast traffic routed to the correct vlan?

I am not sure if I am following but since Windows NetBIOS traffic is encapsulated within TCP/IP wouldn't your routing between VLANs handle this.

Shouldn't be an issue. Broadcasts aren't needed as you are using WINS & DNS for name resolution so all the machines will be able to resolve eachother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back