Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS client is not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

josesc

Technical User
Dec 18, 2000
BR
I have some NT4 workstations connected to ny server by o WAN. The place where they are have many others domains. When I configure them to use my WINS server the machines appear at my network place, but not only they, all the others domains, that are in the same place that the workstations appears too. What do I have to do, to the others domains (that is not mine) do no appear?

Any help will be appreciated

If you want to remove all those extra domains from your Network Neighborhood, you will have to set up a private WINS server for your domain and make the systems in your domain clients to that new server. Anytime you have a shared WINS environment, you will see all the domains of the WINS clients show up in Network Neighborhood.

If you configure replication between the WINS servers, you will be back in the same boat.

ShackDaddy

HI.

You can also implement LMHOSTS on the remote workstations,
if not too much of them.
LMHOSTS solution will reduce some WAN traffic, but it can increase administration complexity.

A WINS solution is better if you fix the problem since it scales much better and adjusts to changes better.

When troubleshooting your WINS problem, you should remember that name registration do not disapear at once, so you will probably need to do some manual deletions or simply delete all the WINS database and let it build again from scratch.

Better do it not at working hours...

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Control Panel -> Network -> Services tab -> Add Service -> WINS. Restart. Now configure all your clients and servers to point at this WINS server instead of the other one. The best way to do this might be via a DHCP scope option. The WINS database will quickly populate itself as clients register themselves there.

Make sure that you don't need to access resources in the other domain. If there are a couple of hosts you need to access you can create static entries in the WINS database to help your clients reach them.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back