Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winrar - Only List Whats Really In the Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlyn

Programmer
Sep 3, 2003
US
Hi,

When creating a multi-file archive (ex. archive.rar, archive.e01, archive.r02), what switch do I need to suppress the listing and showing of files and folders in each of the archive segment files.

The actual script is:
"C:\Program Files\WinRAR\rar" a -dh -agyyyy-MM-dd_HHMMSS -r -m5 -ep2 -ac -ia -sv -v8G -vn "b:\_Web2k8dc1\RarBackups\Drive_G\" "G:\*.*"

I'm creating solid independent archives so, if any of the archive segments becomes bad or lost, I'll only lose data from only that segment.

The issue here is that all segments have the same file and folder list, even if it doesn't actually contain the file of folder contents. The file or folder's actual data may be actually stored in a different segment, say #12, yet if you open each of the segments, I see the same structure and must navigate to the folder of interest in each segment until I find the actual data. What a tremendous waste of time.

What I want to see is a listing of only the files and folders that the segment actually contains, nothing more and nothing less. This way, when opening the segment, if the structure doesn't contain the path in question, open another segment.

Also, this has nothing to do with the archival of empty folders, instead its that ability to locate a file quickly in the archive segments.

I hope I've explained this good enough.

Thanks, Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back