Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winpc defender problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediwarrior

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2004
US
HI all,
I am having a serious problem with some software that maliciously got onto my computer, and I hope that there is someone out there that knows how to fix the problem. And I hope that this is the right place to look for the answer.

I apparently have a Trojan virus called 'WinPC Defender'. No idea how it got on or from where. I am constantly being bombarded by it's popup's telling me it has found viruses and needs to be installed to remove it, but that software doesn't even work when you buy it as I have read about that. I have not bought it at all.
I have tried to look on the internet to see just how to remove it manually, but I cannot find any of the data they say to remove anywhere on the computer. Yet I get lots of popups. Two every minute. My anti-virus doesn't find it and says my computer is clean. I installed Spybot S&D and it cannot find and remove it.
Can anyone tell me where the pop ups are hiding so I can remove them? Does this thing replicate itself and rename itself? Is that possible? I have Win XP service pack 3, all updates are in place as well as on my Trend Micro Antivirus.
Thanks,
Jediwarrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back