Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winold File

Status
Not open for further replies.

24Peaches

Technical User
Dec 13, 2001
US
Windows couldn't load after the wrong mobo driver was installed. Technical support at Microsoft walked my through step by step to reinstall win98 and saving some of my files. Now it seems as though there are double copies on HD occupying extra space. Also, only some of the files or games work. I want to format the drive. I no longer have the disks or cd's for some of the games & programs on the HD. How can I save these files to disks to reinstall after i format?

Without the install media for your software, I really don't see this as being possible.
Your only other option would be to make a backup of your drive's contents, and restore it once you've formatted, but this kind of defeats the purpose, since all the duplicate copies and non-working stuff would be put back as well...[sadeyes]

I would say just get a cheap 2 gig harddrive put it in your computer copy the files to it reformat your other harddrive install your os copy the files back and just use the 2 gig for virtual memory DavidDude00@Daw Corp, 1999-2002
%

I don't think copying your games to another drive and copying them back after an OS reinstall will work. Modern program installations make changes to many different files on the hard drive enabling the program to communicate with the OS and vice versa. I would have to agree with Crisc-without the installation media I don't think you'll be able to get your games or programs back.

Joe Brouillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back