Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winodows 2000 domain configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

tataylor

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2003
US
I am designing a Win2k domain structure and would like some input. The main site is not a problem; I am running a domain controller and backup controller with no issues. Where it gets interesting is my WAN locations. I have 15 locations that need to authenticate to the domain and in case the WAN link is down need to be able to attach to a local Win2k server. Each WAN location only has about 8 computers besides the local server. I really do not want to have to make each local server a controller, as this would give me a total of 17 controllers. All workstations are Windows XP so they will come up using cached information if the main site controllers are not accessible. How can I get to resources on the local server (mapped drives from domain login script, etc) while the main site controllers are not accessible? Any input into how to best configure this will be greatly appreciated.

For the actual logon, you can set a policy at your current domain controller which will allow the clients to cache previous usernames and passwords for a specified number of logons. I think the default is 10.

Regarding logon scripts: If you use a batch file to map drives and create printers then it shouldn't be an issue as by default Windows will keep these settings regardless. Only issue could be that you may have a logoff script which deletes them all!

Good Luck

Are the links to these sites reliable? DO all sites have links to each other? Due to the low number of clients, i would also avoid complication the issue any more than needed with local DC's setup in each office. If they are unreliable and each site can talk to each other, maybe it would be a good idea to have one or two DC's in other sites.

What name resolution do you use (DNS,WINS)? Are you using DHCP? I would suggest having DHCP relaying to a central server from each remote office configured with scopes for each site. Dynamic DNS will do all the work for you.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back