Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winnt: Deleted shares still visible

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcb

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
CH
I set up some shared directories on an NT computer, then (probably) deleted them at some later time. I searched carefully and can no longer find them on that computer. However, they are still visible across the network, in
Network Neighborhood. Any ideas why they are still visible? How I can find and delete them?

Can you see them in server manager? That lists all shares. You can share something and not call it the same name.

Have you got any software that creates share points on a server that are actually virtual directories?

Be aware that you can expect to see deleted shares and PC's up to 37 minutes after they have been removed. This maximum is based on the limitations (features) of the browsing service.

If this is a serious problem you might consider spending time making sure that only the systems you want taking part in browsing are configured to do so. Default is that every WS will at least announce itself for browsing
Paul O'Connor
damhna@hotmail.com

How did you delete them ?? Did you go into Server Manager and say stop share, or did you just delete the directory the share was pointing to.
When you boot the server, in the event log, do you see reference to shares that it couldn't create because the directory doesn't exist.
If you see the entries in event log, but don't see them in Server Manager. They are in the registery key for shares. You can delete them from there.

I know it's a year later, but another trick is to simply recreate a directory, any directory, share it out with the same share name, and then unshare it and delete it. That's worked for me in the past. Or you could dig through the registry and find it there too.

The simplest way to remove it is from Server Manager, connect to the system where these foldes are showing.

These folders will be slightly grayed like as we see hidden files and folders, remove all that that you see like this, these are all shared folders which are deleted.

This shud solve ur problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back