Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winnt 4.0 sp6 error missing last known good menu could not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

ski1535

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2008
US
I put this in the BCM forum, but it is a NT error. Here is what I get

On Tuesday the BCM shutdown several times due to a bad UPS system. Now when I start the BCM I get this error:

"windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \winnt\system32\config\systemhardware profile\last known good menu"

Anythoughts on repair?

I was told to slave the drive and run checkdisk /F and if that don't work use a tool called registry reanimator

If you don't have an ERD for this machine you can't do much (never heard of registry re-animator). You can either load a secondary instance of the OS on your drive or attach the drive to another machine and backup your files.

Take a look at the MS technote regarding this

OK I got past the last known issue, not it boots to the blue screen and stops on the 10 dot, and gives no error.

Will the safe mode work?
You can try using a boot disk like BartPE or UltimateCD to check out the boot.ini file and the general lay of the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back