Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winmodem on Mandrake 8.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekEinstein

Technical User
Mar 16, 2003
US
I have a PCTel HSP56 MR Winmodem and I would like to use it in Mandrake 8.1. I know you can do this with other Winmodems, but I have not found anything for this modem. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it work?

I actually have my linux router/fileserver/dns/mail/dhcp server do dialup on a onboard PCtel winmodem. I've also, successfully got that sucker to work ;-) It's not easy, but here's the process you go through..

1: Download the PCtel source/binary drivers for Kernel 2.4. I'd go with PCtel 0.8.6 driver. It's a bit more stable if you dont have an AMR slot modem.

2: Downlaod the newest _stable_ kernel (branch 2.4.XX) and decompress it to /usr/src/linux

3: Configure, and make the kernel and modules (tough if you've not done it before)...

4: Install so a boot option is made for the new kernel.

5: Boot into new kernel (if it works ;-)

6: Decompress the PCtel driver to whereever your home is.

7: ./configure --with-hal=hal && make && make install

You'll need to add a configure option to compile for your chipset.

--with-hal=hal Select one hal in the following list: pct789, cm8738, i810intel, i810sis, via686a.

Yoru modem should be working ;-) Please let Tek-Tips members know if their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back