Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinME to Win2000 - How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STRAIGHT

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
NL
I have winME now and want to change to win2000. I was wondering if i could

1) move all the files i want to save onto a different hard drive (that is also using winME)
2) format current drive and install win2000
3) move back files from the winME harddrive to my new win2000 hard drive

i was wondering because winME and win2000 use different filing systems??? and im not sure if i can swap files between the two OS??

You can't do what you are asking because when you install an application program onto your computer it adds files like .dll, .ini, ,sys, and others to your operating system's directories.

It also adds entries in the registry.

When you format the drive and reinstall the operating system or install a new operating system you lose all of these associated files.

The best thing to do is to install the new operating system over top of the existing operating system or use an upgrade version.

Win 2000 will convert your file system to NTFS, if that is what you wish, or you can leave the file system as FAT32.

Otherwise, you will need to reinstall all of your application programs.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

If the files you wish to save are just archieve files then you can do what you proposed and perform a clean install of 2000, which would be preferred. Things like mp3's or pictures or video files wouldn't be a problem. If it's installed program files you are talking about, then John is right, it won't work.

All the files that I want to save are just "normal" files (mp3, Word, web pages, etc). I don't mind reinstalling all the programs that I currently have. - So if i don't remind reinstalling all the programs that i have right now, will what i proposed still work??

Infact I want to start of 'fresh' again so i should reformat right??

I thought you wanted to save everything and not just data files, that is why I said this would not work. Sorry.

Osuman is right, if you want to copy your data files to another hard drive then copy them back to the Win 2000 hard drive, you can do that without any problems. The fact that you are changing file systems makes no difference.

It's like taking paper files from a filing cabinet using an alphabetic file system and putting them into a file cabinet using a numeric file system; the files remain the same but they are just stored differently.

You do realize that Win ME will no longer be able to access the files in an NTFS file system?

If you need to access the files from either OS than set up a separate partition using FAT32 and store your data files there. Both Win ME and Win 2000 can access files in a FAT32 file system.

If you want to get rid of all the garbage on your hard drive then formatting and starting fresh is the best way.

Hope this clears things up. Good luck.

John

JohnS9051 - that was VERY helpful because I DID want both OS to read my files.

SO if I only have one HD then i divide it into 3 partitions and load winME onto 1, win2000 on 1, and use FAT32 on the third partition?

I ran Win2kPro on one partition, WinME on another and Win98SE on the third partition. Win98 SE was buggy for the multiboot options. WinME can use file utilities free from to allow it to see the files on the NTFS Win2k partition as read only You can copy them to your WinME partition and use them. Some of the applicaitons like WinME Movie Maker? won't run fully under Win2k. Win2k asks you during installation upgrade if you want to keep your previous OS and which partition to install Win2k to. I used separate partitions on some machines. Jesus and GOD Bless!

RE:> SO if I only have one HD then i divide it into 3 partitions and load winME onto 1, win2000 on 1, and use FAT32 on the third partition?

If you just want to share files over a network, that is no problem, files can be shared between Operating Systems using different file systems.

If you want to dual-boot using a third party boot manager (Partition Magic, System Commander, etc.) follow the instructions that come with the program.

If you want to use Win 2000's boot manager:

1. Install Win 98/ME to a clean partition. Allow enough space for the OS to grow when new files are added. One GB should be plenty.

2. Install Win 2000. You don't need to create a separate partition; it will be created by the Win2000 setup program.
Choose the dual-boot option.
You can choose to install Win 2000 in a NTFS or FAT32 partition. Remember to leave enough space for the OS to grow including a swapfile. 2-4 GB if you want to include space for a dedicated swapfile/pagefile.

3. If you choose NTFS file system, create a new FAT32 partition.
Install your program files and data files in the FAT32 partition. You will have to install the programs in both Operating Systems so that the registry and system files are updated in both.

4. If you chose FAT32 for WIN 2000 then you don,t have to create a third FAT32 partition but it is a good idea to do so anyway.

This isn't a step by step explanation, it's only a generalization, so make sure you follow the on screen directions. Get help if you run into a problem or something you don't understand. The Win 2000 manual (on disk) includes instructions for creating a dual-boot system.

John

I forgot one item in my previous post. Sorry.

Step 3 should say:

If you choose NTFS file system, create a new FAT32 partition.
Install your program files and data files in the FAT32 partition. You will have to install the programs in both Operating Systems so that the registry and system files are updated in both.
Install the programs to the same directory to avoid having two copies of the same program.

John

It is ok to use ntfs for the win2k partition but you cannot upgrade to dynamic disk unless your winme resides on a separate drive so the native files system is not changed.
Jesus and GOD Bless! Jeff Vincelette The Cross Training Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back