Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinME massive error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportsdad

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
US
I have tried numerous installs of WinME and it always seems to have problems. After finally getting it installed, I get error messages about Rundll or Kernal32 or any number of items when I try to do anything. I finally wrote zeros to my hard drive (6 hours for an 80Gb) and want to try again. Can this be related to any hardware? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes it's likely hardware (although WinME is universally derided as the worst of the 9x/ME o/s), especially if your problems are happening during or shortly after installation (rather than after you've loaded & used a fair amount of software). Depending on the problems you're having, approach could be:-

1. If more than one memory stick, try with just one (if ok, try the other on its own). Sometimes get situation where 2 or more good sticks memory but together with motherboard they cause a problem (could also run memory test - good one here
2. If you've expansion cards (sound, modem, network etc), remove them all - does it run ok - yes, put one back in, try again etc.

3. If you've spare video card - try running with that.

4. You can usually reduce the speed of the memory and/op CPU from the bios - try this see if it improves (Bios also usually has some default 'safe' settings you can load to help stabilise hardware. Sets various things to slower values - but you'll probably not notice any loss of speed when using)

I'd also consider (when you've sorted any hardware problems) upgrading to win2k or XP - much more stable (but they're even less tolerant of hardware problems - so if you have any, need to sort them first).

Actually WinME didn't give me as much a problem as WinXP. I spent 8 hours on the phone over the weekend with Microdorks to no avail. WinXP just would not load. We tried everything including loading from a flat. At first I thought it might be an incompatibility between the MB and the video card. Instead, after reading numerous posts between this site and others I could find, I am leaning towards a bad / weak / generic 256MB DDR stick. The first stick I had was bad and wouldn't even allow a boot up. This one lets me boot up but when I get into the program loading, I would still get the errors. Both ME and XP. Do I really have to go backwards to Win98? Thoughts on bad memory sticks would be helpful. Help. Thanks, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back